Thursday, June 11, 2009

Broken Gaydar

I can't sleep so (since?) I am rehashing the day's events. Well, one event in particular...

I met somebody really interesting today on a new Steering Committee I'm sitting on. Today was the group's introduction, we're going to be meeting once a fortnight for the next year. Which means it's a Spectacularly Bad Idea To Get Involved With Her.

So I spent the first half of the meeting ignoring her and taking copious notes. However, when it was my turn to speak I made her laugh a few times and she went out of her way to catch me after the meeting had broken up. We ended up talking for about fifteen minutes. She suggested we have lunch sometime, naturally I agreed.


Now here's the rub, did she ask me out because she's interested or because she's Interested? I know. If it does happen I will have to ask if it's a date. I just really hate doing that because it makes it awkward if it isn't. There should just be a frickin' codeword or something...

I have had this problem before. Usually I am wrong. I'm always projecting or missing the obvious. Funny thing is I only have broken gaydar when it comes to people I am interested in. Maybe I've just lost my understanding of what being friends with a girl is about? Maybe I have this problem because I don't have a lot of gay friends?

I go through friends rather quickly. I always seem to end up sleeping with friends and I can't do the staying friends with my exes thing that everybody else seems to have no problem with. My closest thing to a best friend is a straight guy (we're the Anti Will and Grace) and he is often no help at all in this area.


----------------
Now playing: Ani DiFranco - You Had Time
via FoxyTunes

No comments: